Friday, February 27, 2009

Life without caffeine.........

is AMAZING!!! ok so since the birth of Presley I have been on a vicious cycle of redbulls, sodas, coffee, and five hour(sometimes 6 Hour) energy shots... You see when I had her 2 1/2 years ago I worked fulltime grave yard , went to school full time and had a 15 month old and newborn. I only slept maybe 3-4 hours a day and relied on those to get me through the days, weeks, months...now fast forward to December.. I had my wisdom teeth pulled and could not drink anything besides water for about four days... it was MY FIRST time in 2 1/2 years WITHOUT caffeine!! The headache that came on was soo intense... it hurt to move, for people to speak, to look at light... it was horrible and I thought it was from the surgery... but than a wise friend by the name of STEPHRO asked me what it was like without coffee.. and I realized my headache was from withdrawals!! Much like an alcoholic, or a drug abuser goes through detox or withdrawals.. this is what I was going through.. Can you believe that caffeine was apart of my internal process... my body relied on it!! Needless to say this experience helped me because I was completely awaken to life without it! I was more energetic without it than I was on it, I was thinking more clearly, I no longer needed my afternoon nap... I mean it was the best thing in the world!! School started and I slowly started going back to my best friend, the caffeine to "help" me wake up at four in the morning for clinicals... and now I did not get back into drinking them like the past but probably at least one caffeinated beverage a day and I slowly found myself even more tired during the day and more groggy and out of it.. I was sitting at clinical and looked around and thought why is no body else as exhausted as me?? the truth is I get PLENTY of sleep now.. my kids are older.. I get about 8 hours on reg school days and 6 hours on clinical days and thats when i put my foot down and thought "DAMN IT I AM DONE!!" no more.. I want to feel good.. I want to be AWAKE and Oriented to life.... Now dont get me wrong Caffeine is amazing because it gives you that awake feeling but after about an hour or two you CRASH and that is what was killing me.. Id crash and drink another.. to crash and drink another.. see the cycle?Now it has only been four days off and I have soo much energy and feel so much better and I actually didnt get a headache (probably because of the december detox)I must admit though I miss the taste of diet pepsi and of my flavored coffee ,BUT I missed my clear headed thinking more!

4 comments:

Missy said...

Go girl! So motivating, but not sure if I'm ready to jump on the band wagon. I'm still adjusting to diet pepsi. Good job though!

Galanti's said...

You are brave!! I love love my coffee... I don't think I could ever give it up!!

Mandi Roth said...

That is great that you are doing this. I want to do it. I am usually good for about 2 weeks or so and then just NEED one. Probably really don't though. You are very motivating!! thanks!

Cherine said...

You know I haven't drank caffeine in a good 6 years or so. I'll tell you what. If I even sip it, it is completely disgusting to my taste buds. You can re train them so they don't desire it and that even if you happen to drink some it will be completely repulsive! You are awesome seriously!!! Keep on keepin on girl!

About Me

My photo
I am a wife and mommy and care taker to the world! My goal in life is to be an RN and a great example to my daughters that the best thing in life is the ability to GIVE... if I can show them that than my task here is complete. I am so happy with my family and my life and thank God every day for both. Thank you to all who visit my site to say hi or just inquire about me I appreciate it! I will try to post up to date pics and blogs but honestly that stuff falls to the side when life takes place... Hope to chat soon!!