Friday, January 2, 2009
Religion
Ok so I have been pondering a lot lately about this topic.. here is why, I believe in God and was raised in a Catholic family and went to Catholic school all the way up until high school, however when I became old enough to decide for myself, I chose not to continue with religion anymore.. I did not lose my faith, I just realized I did not believe in those lessons the Catholic church was trying to teach me. I know my mom may not be too thrilled with this but I had to make decisions that I felt comfortable with and I could not agree with a system that was anti-gay. I have a gay sibling in my family and I want the best for him and his life and I am not the one to judge him. I also realized I was only continuing with my religion when I was because it was instilled in me n my family and if we didn't we were looked at as not up to "par" with the rest of the family.. or thats just what I felt. Here is why it is a big deal now, because I want my children to still believe in God, learn stories from the bible, and experience "church" of course than at a responsible age they can than choose what they believe in. I honestly don't believe in organized religion of any kind, I dont believe God says there is only ONE religion in this whole world, I dont believe anybody is getting to heaven quicker than me or to a higher level than me, however I do not want to push my beliefs unto my children because God did give us "free will" and they are able to choose as they please, but I need to give them the right tools to make those decisions. SO I am thinking about attending the Central Christian Church right down the street from us and start taking the girls. I hear it is pretty broad across the board with lessons of love, life, and God, and I am ok with that stuff.. as long as there are no specifics, like gay people are going to hell... or blacks can not become leaders because they are the mark of Cain... etc... Does this make sense?I dont know I think I am looking for advice and not really sure how to treach these waters....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
- Melody
- I am a wife and mommy and care taker to the world! My goal in life is to be an RN and a great example to my daughters that the best thing in life is the ability to GIVE... if I can show them that than my task here is complete. I am so happy with my family and my life and thank God every day for both. Thank you to all who visit my site to say hi or just inquire about me I appreciate it! I will try to post up to date pics and blogs but honestly that stuff falls to the side when life takes place... Hope to chat soon!!





5 comments:
Ok... First off, Mel, you know I am mormon. Didnt always practice it. But have gotten back into it as I got older with kids. Its just what I was raised to believe. I think that you are a great Mom for wanting your kids to have that knowledge. A little church never hurt anyone. Tony's family always goes to central for the christmas service. But that is about it. I love the curch service there. It is totally diffrent than lds church thats for sure. Trace really likes going only because they have video games and stuff like that in the class rooms.Thats not a reason to like to go... But hes 7 and a boy what can i say! I think that you need to do whatever you feel comfortable with. I am not someone that can say oh you have to believe what I believe. I respect all religion and I am proud of you for wanting more for your girls.
I think it's great that you want your girls to go! Try it out and see how it goes,you're right, a little church never hurts.
Also, you can find bible story books made just for kids with easy to understand words. My kids love hearing the stories.
Wish i could give you advice.. I don't have kids yet, but I think it's great that you want to have the religion in their lives and then as they get older they can decide for themselves.. But ya there are some really good bible story book for kids. My sister has some for her girls. Do whatever you feel comfortable with.
I believe it is a personal journey where to guide your family but what I can say is make it a matter of personal prayer because i believe in the power of prayer and I know if you ask with a sincere open heart that God will lead you where you and your family belong! Like you said you didn't agree with all the Catholic theology. Maybe to set a standard of God's theology to understand what your children might be indoctrinated study out the New Testament and gain a personal understanding so that you can discern what is a quote good church or what is a great church for your family! Best of luck and again i encourage you to take a knee and ask your Heavenly Father because that is exactly what he is. Your father. He is so proud that you are a kind and loving mother and he wants to bless you!
I love you!
Post a Comment